Saturday, February 11, 2012

Rocknasium Lock-in



 

Although it already seems like 2 days ago, today's post starts about 24 hours ago.  After putting in a full day at work, I came home, took an hour nap, and then got ready for an all-night excursion with 30 boy scouts at the Davis Rocknasium Gym.  As the scoutmaster, I was very happy to also have the help of several other adult leaders for our little excursion.  We met at the church at 8:30 PM, and by the time we got everything together, piled into 7 vehicles, and drove up to Davis, we arrived about 9:45 PM.  We got to be "locked in" from 10 PM to 6 AM, to climb to our hearts content and several boys earned their rock climbing merit badge.   It was an absolutely fantastic experience for the boys, very memorable, and one we will talk about for a long time!  I don't think we could have asked for anything better!  The staff was fantastic, they all worked really well with the boys.  The boys all got a long really well, and it turned out to be quite the bonding experience.

First the staff got all of us to just start "free-climbing."  
 Braden was like a fly on flypaper on the walls. 

 I wasn't about to spend all night there and not climb around on the walls too!
 Braden and David (one of my favorite peeps).
 Check out these angles.
 Braden and Ricky goofing around.
 Braden and me climbing.
 Ricky got this pic from below.  Nice fan, eh?
 Here I am, risking my life as I adventurously climb the dangerous terrain.

Just after midnight, Braden was conquered by Harley.
 Braden and Alec learning to belay.

 Ricky belaying Braden to the top.
 Braden, Ricky and Troy enjoying the ropes.
 At about 1:30 a.m., the staff member "Ferris" took the boys away to start passing off requirements for their Rock Climbing merit badge.  At first the boys weren't too happy about not being out there climbing, but the classroom stuff didn't last too long.
 At about 2:00 a.m. the adult leaders were starting to get a bit drowsy.  :)
 Braden, Chris, and Ricky working on their merit badge requirements.  This was a little after 2:00 a.m.  They are looking pretty alert for that time of night huh?
 Before the boys could get too drowsy, they were back at it learning to rappel from a ledge.
 I got to belay all the boys as they climbed to the ledge that they would rappel from.  Here is Braden climbing to the ledge.
 Braden rappelling down.  Great form for his first time!


 Yes, with 30 boys 15 pizzas from Little Ceasars didn't last very long.  There wasn't a single slice left.
 The boys learning all of the knots they would need when rock climbing.
 Good bonding experience for everybody, especially at 3:30 a.m. and still no sleep!
 Ferris back at it teaching the boys to coil the ropes.  Around 4:00 a.m.
 Once the merit badges were all signed off, the boys huddled to tell their most embarrassing moments.  I'll do them all a favor and not publish them here!


2 comments:

Jones Family said...

OMG! What an awesome experience! I love it!!!! I can't believe you all stayed up all night! That's crazy!

Aleena said...

Looks like fun! After seeing these pictures, Jonah really wants to go rock climbing now!